Friday, February 13, 2009

THE KNOCKOUTS_Darling Lorraine


Group/band from North Bergen and Bayonne in New Jersey consisted of Bo D’Andrea(Vocal),Eddie Parente(Guitar),Bob Collada(Piano) and Harry Venuta(Drums). In 1959 their manager Chic Salerno obtaining a contract with Bobby Shad of the Shad/Time/Brent Records. This want repeat with the guys the label hits_I’ve Had It. By The Bell Notes and_It Was I. By Skip & Flip.


In the summer of 1959 the group recorded their first disc on the Shad label with the romantic doo wop ballad_Darling Lorraine. And the rock side_Riot In Room 3C. The A Side was very popular locally and Bob Shad moved the record to NewYork for their national distribution and in the late 1959 the mentioned side charted #46 nationally, with a big popularity the group have life perfomances in New Jersey (Seaside,Parrot Club,Luciaanos in Lodi,Lyndhurst...) and New York(Greenwood Lake....). 

LISTEN...



 The group have one alternative version....

LISTEN...



Following to the _Darling Lorraine. Disc they recorded from 1959 to 1965 without success...

-Rich Boy Poor Boy/Please Be Mine. Shad Records-1960.
-You Can Tale My Girl/Fever. MGM Records-1961.
-What's On Your Mind/Tweet Tweet. Tribute Records-1964.
-Mo Jo Part.1(Got My Mo Jo Working)/Mo Jo Part.2. Tribute Records-1964.
-Don't Say Goodbye/Ecuador. Tribute Records-1965.
-Falling From Paradise/Ecuador. Tribute Records-1965. (as by Bob D’Andrea & The Knockouts.).


In 1960 Bob Catucci aka Pierre LaSalle replaced Harry Venuta and in 1964 Tribute Records released the Lp_Gop Ape With The Knockouts. with the sides... Mo Jo Part 1/Darling Lorraine/Tweet Tweet/Ecuador/Poor Boy, Rich Boy/I Got A Woman Part 1/What’s On Your Mind/Give Me A Chance/Number One Girl/Molly Maone/Don’t Say Goodbye/I Got A Woman Part 2.



LISTEN...




In the late 60’s Bob form part of a comedian duet callet Andre & Cirell.

2 comments:

tcat said...

Love your site. I was looking up Chang lee and the Zany-ACTS THEN ON TO the knockouts. My Brother is Bob Catucci (AKA Pierre Lasalle) who replaced Drummer Harry Vanutta in about 1960. Bob passed in July 2002. My best email is tcat114@aol.com I'm Tom Catucci

Fred Clemens said...

Eddie Parente, playing guitar for the group, shared many of the vocals with Bob D'Andrea. Eddie's voice is the one you hear leading off the singing on "Rich Boy, Poor Boy".

In July 1966, at least three of them could be found on RCA VICTOR Records recording as The Questions. Bob Collada wrote one of the sides, "Can I Believe". The other side was called "If I Had My Way".