Wednesday, January 20, 2010

THE HEARTBREAKERS (Vik Records)


Paul Himmelstein born in the Bronx in 1940 from white jewish parents. Paul grew up hearing black vocal groups from the Morrisania section of the Bronx, at the age of nine years he sang in a TV talent show later he decided to join as lead voice of a vocal group made up of his neighbors who called themselves The Heartbreakers formed by Bobby "Count" Higgs (2nd Tenor), Henry "Rocky" Eli (Baritone) and "Torch" later replaced by Henry "Stoney" Jackson (1st Tenor) (from the Tru-Tones on Old Town records).

In 1956 the group entered the weekly amateur contest at Harlem's Apollo Theatre and won four weeks. Vanguars records released in may of 1956 a Lp "At Night at The Apollo" incluiding the group rendition of the Wrens song "Come Back My Love".Later this same song was enclosed in a single released for Fordham Records.


In the fall of 1956 the group signed local songwriter, Shirley Elliston as their manager and the group signed with Vik records where recorded in 1957 two singles "One, Two I Love You / Without Cause" and "My Love / Love You Til The Day I Die". Dee Jay Alan Freed liked the group and added this to his big easter Jubilee of Stars concert at the Brooklyn Theatre in april, 1957.

LISTEN...



After some concerts and television performances, Paul got tired and left the stage at the age of 17 and did not sing more professionally.


The Heartbreakers 45's on Vik " Wanda" and "It's OK with me" were by a different group.


Henry Jackson continue singing with the Tru-Tones they back up to Lenny Welch on Decca in 1957 and as part of the V-Eights recorded in Vibro records in 1960. Also they have the unreleased side on Old Town records "Why Oh Why".


LISTEN...

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I love my Uncle Paul and he's a great guy as well as a wonderful singer. God Bless you Uncle Paul.

Love you, Marianne Polloni

Unknown said...

My uncle Paul was the GREATEST! Still is! We love you Uncle Paul.

Marianne, Frank, Frank Jr., and Michael

Unknown said...

What a great lead singer your uncle was. Do you ever get the pleasure of hearing him sing?

I've often wondered what did he did after leaving music…?

Mark Naison said...

This is Dr Mark Naison of Fordham U. I did an interview with Paul Himmelstein which is going to be in a book and need to be in touch with him about possible photos. Could any of you in touch with Paul please ask him to email me at naison@fordham.edu, or call me on my cell ( 917) 836-3014

Unknown said...

I have the review copy of the book. "Before The Fires" about the Morrisania section of the Bronx. Paul is in there along with Arthur Crier and other musicians plus academics.

Andrew Tollefsen said...

How would I go about getting a hold of Paul Himmelstein? Does he have a website?

Andrew Tollefsen said...

Marianne,your uncle was an incredible singer and even at that young age,an incredible human being, loyalty would not let him leave the group. Kid Kyle,who is a 23 year old Doo Wopp singer who loves the Heartbreakers version of "Come Back My Love". If your uncle is up to it I would love to take him to one of Kyles shows and introduce him.

Andrew Tollefsen said...

My cel phone is 917 574 8359

Andrew Tollefsen said...

My number is 917 574 8359

Unknown said...

Did you ever get in touch with him for your book? I am one of his nephews.

Jason Himmelstein said...

Paul Himmelstein has left us recently and is now singing in paradise.

Uncle Paul, we miss you and love you so much. I look forward to the moment I get to hug you again. Rest in Paradise!