Friday, October 18, 2013

THE HI-LITERS Featuring DARYL PETTY

From The Complete Book Of Doo Wop...

THE HI-LITERS.

Dance Me To Death/Cha Cha Rock. Mercury Records-1958.


The Hi-liters on Mercury Records were a country band from Morganton, NC. first know in the early 50's as The Mimosa Boys (Blue Ridge and MGM Records) and The Highlighters, consisted of Joe Franklin(Lead Vocal and songwriter),Daryl Petty(Pianist and songwriter),Mel Taylor(Drummer,later replaced by Jimmy Buchaman) and Tom Sechler(Guitarist).

In 1958 signed with Mercury and recorded as The Hi-liters the Rock & Roll Sides_Dance Me To Death(Lead by Joe) and_Cha Cha Rock(Lead by Darryl).

LISTEN...



In 1959 recorded in the Durham, NC. based label Renow Records the sides_Who Put The Pep In The Punch/True Blue.(not present in the doo wop guides) as Joe Franklin & The Hi-Liters.

A Side is a nice rockin' rollin vocal group side. To Listen or Download, please visit;https://app.box.com/s/w4c0ks0432f7q3afgimf

Information,pictures and songs at; http://www.bopping.org/tag/north-wilkesboro-nc/



PROBLABLY.....

...Singer and songwriter Daryl Petty of The Hi-liters Recorded in 1959 for Hornet Records the sides_Flaming Love/The Day I Die. as a solo artist.

LISTEN...



5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post! These guys were in the Bristol TN/VA area back in '58 and '59. I have spoken with Joe's relatives. I would like to contact any of Daryl's immediate family. I contributed some info to Mr. Xavier who was also doing some research on these great guys. I'm trying to write a little history about them- the heroes of my teen years. davidthill111@gmail.com

Debbie sue said...

Hi David Hill I was surfing and found this I love country songs and my uncle was the Great Daryl Petty ....My aunt was married to him and she away talked about his singing wow I will let her know I found this maybe she can help you with your research truly Debbie ��

Unknown said...

Debbie sue pls contact me at MattNadineZollars on f book. I'm from the petty family. Would love to put the members bk in touch with each other.

SheilaLS said...

My dad was Tommy Sechler. This is an amazing site to run across! The Hi Liters were on the Ed Sullivan show in 1957. There is a copy on file at the Library of Congress in D.C. You can make an appointment to watch it. My sister did a few years ago and I hope so too!

Unknown said...

So very cool. Our dad was Tommy Sechler and I have seen the Ed Sullivan show at the Library of Congress. I do have some photos of them. Joe Franklin was a cousin of my mother ( Helen ). Early Party was an awesome piano player! We would love any information on The Hi-Liters and would be happy to share any photos we have too!